Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Think Like a Man (my review)....Don't read if you haven't seen the movie yet.

So I will start this off by saying God is such an amazing creator for giving us Michael Ealy. I mean seriously, he is just so damn fine, he makes watching even the worst movies (see Takers) enjoyable. I mean, just look at him...

Anyway, where was I going with this? Oh yes. Think Like a Man came out this past weekend and I went ahead and saw it and I thought I'd share my thoughts with y'all. You care.

My first thought when folks started asking me did I like the movie was this:
It was good. Just like you would expect a Black romantic comedy to go. Hilariously funny, thanks to Kevin Hart, but there were, of course, those corny moments when you thought, Niggas don't act/talk like that.

I laughed enough, and enjoyed the eye candy, but I really don't think the story line was all that great. It was one of those movies where it seemed like instead of developing a great plot, they decided to throw in extra characters and sub-plots.

There was the interracial couple who were shacking up. And the playa -who was by far the cheesiest and least believable character in the movie. I mean, he's not even attractive enough to be a "playa." But he somehow snagged Megan Good who just got done boning Chris Brown. I"m so not buying it.- And then there was the on and of drama between Kevin Hart and his ex wife, the mama's boy and the single mom and his mama, the unemployed negro and the independant woman and also a random married guy there to crack awkward jokes at awkward moments.

There was so much going on that they didn't have the time to perfect it which left the movie with shitty half endings that weren't realistic (see Why Did I Get Married Too) I mean the whole issue with the "mama's boy" being so easily solved. Now I've dealt with mama's boys and I've seen my girls dealing with them too. There is no such thing as giving a mama's boy an ultimatum and seeing him take immediate action nor is there such thing as a mama approving. That would not have happened. The world of a mama's boy is a very delicate one and most will never be in a successful relationship...ever.

I just hate watching relationship movies where they make it seem like every issue is so easily solved. Like there's steps you take and then boom everyone's happy. Every single person ended up happily involved with their boo at the end of this movie. That is NOT real life. And that makes it corny. Too much like movies about white people and their picket fences and 2.5 kids. I want to see some real life shit. It ain't always rosy over here.

So what did I like about the movie? Well for one Kevin Hart was absolutely hilarious. It was like watching him act out one of his stand up routines and I swear hearing his character argue with his ex wife was probably really how he talked to his ex wife in real life. He is my favorite comedian right now so it's hard not to love him.

Other big pluses...
I love Michael Ealy and Taraji together. That was all kinds of sexy. They have good on-camera chemistry. Imagining him as a man who can cook and put it down in the bedroom wasn't half bad either. Truthfully, if the whole movie was about their relationship with Kevin Hart offering comic relief, I would have liked it much better. And no, its not because I want to lick the sweat from Michael Ealy's navel, I just genuinely enjoyed his character. He seemed the realest to me.

I also liked the little cameos. I mean, this was the best...

And I won't complain about seeing Morris Chestnut looking all fugly and washed up either. Good times.

Anyway, that was my two cents. It was worth the $7.50. The eye candy was good, the jokes were hilarious, but I honestly idn't expect much more out of a movie based on a book written by Steve Harvey.



Side note: Did anyone else notice how odd the previews were? Usually they show previews for similar movies, but I guess since there aren't many Black romantic comedies coming out, they seemed to throw a whole but of random nonsense in there. How did we go from a Tyler Perry movie to Total Recall to Madagascar 3?

No comments:

Post a Comment