Monday, February 13, 2012

Too Short Went Too Far

"You push her up against the wall," he [Too Short] continued. "You take your finger and put a little spit on it and you stick your finger in her underwear and you rub it on there and watch what happens."

That is an excerpt from an article written in response to a video by Too Short posted on XXL.com. The original video has been taken down, but the response article can be found here.
As you could guess, many folks are in an uproar about it. I know my twitter timeline is flooded with mentions of the rapper’s foul advice to young boys. This is all expected. This is what should be happening. We should be infuriated with this fool of a man for uttering such disgusting words, and angered with XXL.com for posting the video as well.
What bothers me is the “why are you so shocked” comments. Sure we know that Too Short has never made the cleanest music. In fact, he basically makes a living off of disrespecting women. However, I think there is a very well defined line between making foul music and advising young boy to practically force sexual acts on young girls. Even if there was a hint of consent in his suggestion, it would still be equally bad.
As an adult female, I choose whether or not I want to listen to his music and I usually don’t. The only time I listen is at the club and when I’m there, I’m not trying to win any “respectable lady of the year” awards. I also don’t go out and do what he tells me because, well I’m an adult with a bit of common sense. But for him to directly give young boys detailed instruction on how to finger a girl is completely out of line.
As a mother of both a son and a daughter I am appalled. My kids don’t listen to Too Short because I don’t play it around them, and if I continue to raise them right, if they do happen to listen to him in the future, I doubt they will be influenced by him. However, my issue is that they will encounter other children with weak minds and horrible upbringings that may take this kind of advice from this sick bastard. Lord knows I don’t want to go to jail for killing some little boy because he did to my daughter what Too Short told him to.
Goodness I’m ready to break someone’s neck just thinking about it.
The point I’m trying to make is yes, his music has always been bad and yes many of us still shake our asses to it. That does not take away from the fact that his latest show of sick foolery is worth being outraged about. I’m actually outraged at the people who aren’t disturbed by it. We have to be more concerned for our little girls. Or are we forgetting that 1 in 3 women are sexually assaulted at least once in their life. Its ideas like this that make that possible. Don’t accept it and don’t justify it by saying “you weren’t mad when you were bumping his music.” It still doesn’t make it ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment