Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Opposites Attract???????

Random thought popped into my head and I decided to write it out.

Do opposites really attract? And if they do, are those the relationship that last? Why or why not?

My opinion......

I feel that to a certain extent opposites do indeed attract. That whole "you are everything I am not" concept can hold very true. But I feel you have to look further into it. Let me give you an example. I am a passive indecisive person. Therefore I am attracted to assertive men. Two indecisive people won't get far. Sitting on the couch every day shrugging your shoulders, trying to figure out what movie to watch can actually DESTROY a relationship. But if one person can step up and make suggestions and the other can go-with-the-flow, it's almost a perfect symbiotic connection.

On the flip side, sometimes opposition is no bueno. Another example; I am a very odd woman. I have an extremely diverse background. I grew up in the hood and in the suburbs, so my likes and dislikes are on a very wide spectrum. If I date a hood boy, at some point our interaction will be limited. We can listen to Young Money and Jay-Z for a while and enjoy it together, but when I turn on my Maroon 5 or Duffy, he's going to shy away. That is a very small example, but apply that across the board and understand where I'm coming from. I would need someone with similar interests or at least someone who could truly understand my eclectic taste in life.

I guess it's not really about opposites or similarities, but more so about supplemental personalities. If someone's positives fill your negatives, you laugh at the same movies, complain about the same bs in life, and share at least 60% of your playlists......you might have something good going. But then again this is only MY opinion. And my opinion is only derived form what I experience and see. Maybe there are folks out there with the exact same personality type who grew up in total opposition to each other that are so madly in love that you can throw everything I just said out the window. :-) That's the beauty of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment