Monday, December 12, 2011

This is a little rant stemming from a conversation I had with a friend. I am a very open and honest person. I rarely lie and I give out information pretty freely. Most people think I share too much of my business with too many people, but really, I don’t care.
 The thing is, people have been spreading my business since I can remember. I mean the rumor mill spun a story about the loss of my virginity that got back to my mother before I got back in town the very next weekend.  So instead of letting people tell stories and mix up details, I usually try to beat them to the punch. Even if I’ve wronged a lover, I never wait to get caught. I’d rather tell on myself first.
So if you ask me a question, I most likely will give you an honest answer. No need to lie. No need to hide anything. That just reflects badly on me. See, I honestly don’t think I’m doing things much different from the rest of you. I’m just the one who’s not afraid to tell it like it is. Yup, I did that. And I liked it too.
And it’s not that I’m too trusting. Quite the opposite really. I don’t trust anyone. I figure everyone I know will do me wrong at least once, so I don’t put much faith in mere mortals. If I tell someone a secret, I have no doubt that they will tell at least one other person, who will tell one other person, who will tell one other person, yada yada yada. So if I tell one person something, In the back of my head, I know I’m telling everybody.
My lack of trust in people isn’t as negative as it seems really. I honestly think that when a person wrongs another, most of the time it’s unintentional. There aren’t too many people out there being malicious, haphazardly betraying friends and breaking hearts. They simply lose sight of anything that’s secondary to them. We’re self-centered creatures. We do what we want as long as it benefits us. And it's not really out of blatant disregard for others; we just take care of ourselves first.
With all that said, I really just do me. I don’t concern myself with what others think or what they say. I ignore the rumors, because I usually have already told the truth. And when it comes down to it, my head is clear, I don’t fear judgment, and lies, deceit, and betrayal are easily addressed, dismissed, and ignored. Maybe it’s my way of being self-centered and looking out for me, but hey, I stay smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment