Monday, January 24, 2011

I'm Grown, You're Grown, Let's Do Stupid Sh*t Together

There is a large misconception that being grown means that you can do whatever you want. Sure it’s a true statement. “I’m grown; I can do what I want.” However, if that’s your definition of being grown, there’s no difference between you and a 12 year old.  Regardless of age, we all can do whatever we want. If a 12 year old wants to have sex, they can. If they want a car, they can go steal one (trust me I knew a 12 year old who was always joy-riding in stolen cars) If they want to smoke weed and get drunk, they can just go do it. We all have free will and aside from being held accountable by God, law enforcement, and our parents, we’ve been doing whatever we want all our lives. That’s not a right we gain in adulthood.

The mentality of “I’m grown I can do what I want” is the philosophy of those who are “acting grown.” You can be 9 or 49 and act grown. It’s not earned or obtained at any particular milestone. “Being grown” on the other hand is something totally different.

Those who are actually being grown instead of just acting grown know that we have always been able to do whatever it is that we want to do. However when you are truly grown and mature, you use discernment in what you do. You also have a great deal of respect for yourself and others.

As an example, I’ve been encountered by men who have dealt with my friends or relatives, or who’s friends or relatives I’ve dealt with. They pursue me and when I decline, they’re first response is, “We’re both grown. We can do what we want.” Now of course there is absolutely nothing to stop me from lying in bed with any man who asks me to, but being grown, I have enough respect for myself and the situation to say no.  At times my reasons are too much for the average horny male to comprehend. They’re so busy acting grown that all they care about is doing what they want.

Hell I want to take a trip to Paris this summer and when I get my tax return, I will have more than enough money to purchase the ticket. But as much as I want to go to Paris, I’m not because I have responsibilities and more important things to be concerned with, like my kids and my bills. We can all act grown and go through life haphazardly, not caring about the consequences of our action (Even if our actions effect no one but ourselves) But it is much better to actually be grown, use some common sense, show respect for self and others, and make wise decisions that we won’t regret later in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment